Too often, we find hair stylists who fail to give a thorough consultation for male clients. We have had male clients come in who are surprised at the questions we ask prior to performing a service because they have never been asked before. They didn’t know there could be a solution to their hair challenge. Or they didn’t personally imagine a new look for themselves.
Here are a few important things to consider when planning for a male client’s haircut:
- Face Shape: Face shape is an important aspect to consider when cutting hair. It’s important to try to achieve balance and conceal or highlight certain features of the face. For example, a harsh forehead shape or jaw line can be concealed with the right haircut. Perhaps a client has a round face that he would prefer to have a slimmer appearance. The lines and length of a haircut can achieve that effect.
- Head Silhouette/Profile: Sometimes a haircut can look great from the front, but when looking at the profile view, the haircut doesn’t give the appearance of a properly proportioned and balanced head shape. The slope of a man’s nape, bumps of the skull, or curve of the crown area can vary vastly from person to person. With the proper cut, stylists can give the illusion of a perfectly shaped head.
- Maintenance: Sometimes clients desire a look that they simply are not willing to maintain. A higher maintenance look that requires a touch-up every three weeks might not satisfy a guest who doesn’t want to come in any sooner than every 5 weeks — even if they like the initial haircut and it’s exactly what they asked for. Make sure to communicate the maintenance necessary for a look before performing the service.
- Styling: Does your client use product or any hot tools to style his hair? If not, be sure to communicate whether or not the cut you perform will need any product or styling tool to achieve the desired look. Also be sure to account for the finish of a styling product. Perhaps your client uses product but likes a natural look. In that case, you want to avoid products with a glossy finish that give a wet look appearance.
- Impression: Your appearance makes a huge impact on your first impression. From your appearance, people decide what kind of personality you have (fun, serious, professional, artistic. etc.). The hair cut and style you give to your client will impact this area and should be taken into consideration.
Do you have a passion for the beauty industry? Do you want to make a career out of improving the style and confidence of people from all different walks of life?
Alure Hair Academy’s 13-month cosmetology program prepares aspiring hairstylists, makeup artists, estheticians, and nail techs to thrive in the science and business of beauty. Alure Hair Academy is located in Ashburn of Loudoun County, VA. Click here to request more info or here to apply to become a student.